“Matar Paneer” is a popular North Indian dish. Cubes of soft paneer are cooked with peas and tomatoes. I also love the versatility of this gravy which can be used to make potatoes with peas too! This is one of my favorite and easy recipes I turn to, when in a hurry to cook something fast and delicious! The tomatoes are cooked with ginger and green chillies, then your vegetable, either paneer or potatoes are added in along with some Indian spices. Unbelievably quick and yummy!
I generally avoid using store bought paneer as I find it expensive and the texture tends to be tough unless I am in a tearing hurry. Making paneer at home is not only more economical, fresher and better tasting but also healthier (no added preservatives). I shall do another post on how I make fresh paneer at home. Enjoy!
- 300 grams “paneer”
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 green chilly, finely chopped (I do use Thai hot)
- 2 small tomatoes, grated
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste- optional (I like to use it, gives a deep red color)
- 2- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro , finely chopped “fresh dhaniya”
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder “Dhaniya”
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder “Haldi”
- 1/4 cup peas ( I always have bags of frozen peas in the freezer, I don’t bother to even thaw them)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup hot water
- 2 tablespoons oil
- salt to taste
Serve hot! I have served it here with Methi Thepla, Chicken Kheema and Okra “Bhindi”.