These potatoes are cooked using five whole spices like fennel, yellow mustard seeds, black mustard seeds, cumin seeds and onion seeds with a dash of red chilly powder. “Paanch- Phoran ” literally means five spices and is very famous in Eastern India. I typically use this mixture to prepare pickles or a simple potato preparation like this one. These potatoes are make a great side dish.While cooking your kitchen is bound to smell great because of all the fragrant spices. I typically like to add extra fennel since I love the flavor! I hope you enjoy this.
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and cubed ( I used Yukon Gold)
- 3/4 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon onion seeds “kalonji”
- 3/4 teaspoon black mustard seeds “Rai”
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard seeds ( these are slightly bitter)
- 3/4 teaspoon red chilly powder- I use “Kashmiri Degi Mirch” (bright in color and mild in taste)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- salt to taste
Served here with shrimp curry and rice.
1. Before adding the spices to the oil, make sure the oil is hot so that the spices release their oil immediately.
2. When you add the red chilly powder, wait for 30 seconds before adding the potatoes. The mixture will turn bright red and flavor the potatoes well.
3. Cook the potatoes without any water, just keep checking periodically to make sure it’s not sticking to the bottom of the pan. The potatoes should be cooked through but should not be mushed.