Sunday is our day for comfort food in my home. More often than not, I cook my family’s favorite lentil, rice and “Gobi-kheema” (minced cauliflower). Since I am so crazy about eggplant (!), I decided to use it in place of the cauliflower. Chop finely and cook with onions, tomatoes and a couple of Indian spices. It’s a no fuss dish that few can resist.
- 1 meduim sized eggplant, chopped into small pieces
- 2 small onions, chopped fine
- 2 tomatoes, chopped fine
- 1 teaspoon of tomato paste (optional, gives a nice color)
- 2 to 3 “Thai hot” green chillies – finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon, finely chopped fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro, plus 1 teaspoon more for garnish (optional)
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric,
- 3/4 teaspoon red chilly powder ( I use kashmiri degi mirch)
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- salt to taste
- 3 tablespoons of canola oil
Mix well, cover and cook on medium heat for 25 minutes. Stir occasionally and cook till done. No water to be added.