This post is very special for me for a number of reasons. First, I just learned that my recipes will be a weekly feature on the popular local “mom” blog series “AZ Desi Mums“, “Sydney Desi Mums“, and “Dubai Desi Mums”! “Desi” is an affectionate reference to people from India who live abroad. “Desi Mums” is a hangout for “desi” moms to share, recommend and discuss mom concerns and interests. This will be my first featured recipe!
Another reason why this recipe is special to me is because this was one of the first dishes I learned to cook. This dish was a party favorite back home and I am forever grateful to my Mom for teaching me how to make it. I also make it as an easy week-night dinner meal with some store-bought garlic bread or futtunta. Fettunta is grilled or toasted bread with some garlic rubbed on top and a drizzled with olive oil. Super easy and delicious!
- 12 oz (340 grams) white mushrooms (I prefer the pre washed and sliced)
- 9 oz (255 grams) fresh spinach, cleaned and roughly chopped
- 1 can (15 ounce) of golden sweet corn, rinsed and drained
- 3 slices of yellow American cheese (you can use cheddar or swiss too, if using grated about 3/4 cup
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups milk (I used 2% milk)
- 1 green chilly, finely chopped ( optional, I like a little heat)
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt or to taste ( if using salted butter, go easy on the salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed black pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated cheese (I used Mexican four cheese, but you can use any cheese of your choice) – to top the dish before it’s baked
For the Fettunta:
- 1 baguette , diagonal cut (1/2 inch thick)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- drizzle of olive oil
Note: I used Kosher salt as I find it less harsh. Use fresh white mushrooms, in order to clean, take a damp kitchen towel and individually wipe them clean. Cut off the hard stems and slice the mushrooms.
Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a saute pan. Add mushrooms and a pinch of salt. Mix well, the mushrooms should be well coated with the butter. Saute the mushrooms on medium heat till all the water dries off and the mushroom turn a brown color. This should take 10 minutes. Keep aside.
In another vessel, steam the spinach along with green chilly. Cover and let it cook on low heat for 10 minutes. The spinach will wilt and let off water. Uncover and cook till the water dries off. Mash with a fork and keep aside.
Rinse and drain corn and keep aside.
Add milk and keep whisking until the sauce becomes thick and smooth. This should 4 to 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper and mix.
Lightly grease an oven proof dish and pour the mixture into it. Top with grated cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes until the cheese on top melts and the edges are bubbling. Serve hot with garlic bread or Fettunta.