Chocolate Chunk Cookies- Recipe by Ina Garten, Makes 36 cookies
- 1/2 pound unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts – (I left this out due to allergy reasons)
- 1 1/4 pounds semisweet chocolate chunks- (I used Nestle)
- 1 ounce white, dark or milk chocolate as a drizzle on top of the cookies – OPTIONAL
Note: As if the cookies weren’t decadent enough, I melted 5 squares of Lindt white chocolate in a microwave, as a drizzle on top of the cookies.
Cream the butter and two sugars until light and fluffy in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add the vanilla, then the eggs, one at a time, and mix well. Sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt and add to the butter with the mixer on low speed, mixing only until combined.
Bake for exactly 15 minutes (the cookies will seem underdone). Remove from the oven and let cool slightly on the pan, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Optional: After the cookies have completely cooled, melt white or any chocolate of your choice by chopping it and placing it in a small glass bowl in the microwave at 20 second intervals. After every 20 seconds, stir the chocolate with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon. You may need to do this twice. When the chocolate is almost melted , stir vigorously and place in a zip lock bag. Push the chocolate to one end of the zip lock and tie the top, like a piping bag and snip the corner of the bag where the chocolate is. Drizzle over the cookies and serve.