Creamy Asparagus Soup – serves 3
Of late we have been trying to eat healthier, so I make a light soup and salad for dinner. Next month, we will be celebrating “Diwali” the hindu festival of lights followed by Thanksgiving and Christmas. With the holidays and speacial festivals around the corner, I need to cut back on calories.
This easy, simple and delicious recipe requires no heavy cream at all. Just saute onion, potato, and fresh asparagus in olive oil and a tablespoon of butter . The potatoes naturally thicken the soup, onions lend sweetness and a cube of chicken or vegetable bouillon adds extra flavor. The milk is added to the end to make it creamy.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound of fresh asparagus, trim the tough ends
- 1 small potato, peeled and cubed (I used “Yukon Gold”)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cube chicken or vegetable bouillon (tends to be salty)
- water- enough to cover the vegetables, while cooking (about 1 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup milk ( I used 2%)
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
Note: Bouillon tends to be salty so do not add additional salt. When the soup is ready, check for seasoning and then add extra salt if needed.
Check for seasoning, add salt and pepper to taste.