I baked these cupcakes for my a dear friend’s baby shower which I hosted last year. I decided on an animal theme and kept it a neutral color, yellow since they were not aware of the baby’s sex.
Like all Ina Garten’s recipes, this one turned out to be a big hit. The cupcakes are incredibly moist, light and fluffy. The only thing I would not do next time is fill the cupcake tins all the way up, it just tends to spill, making a very large cupcake. Other than that, it’s the best vanilla cupcake I have eaten! I added a little yellow color to the cream cheese icing to make it more fun.
- 18 tablespoons (2 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature
- 3 cups sugar
- 6 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup sour cream, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
For the icing:
- 3/4 pound (3 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 pound cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3/4 pound confectioners’ sugar, sifted
- 1 1/4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment on high speed, until light and fluffy. On medium speed, add the eggs, 2 at a time, then add the sour cream and vanilla. Scrape down the sides and stir until smooth. Sift together the flour, cornstarch, salt, and baking soda in a bowl. With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture to the butter mixture until just combined.
For the icing, mix the butter, cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, on low speed, mixing just until smooth. Spread the frosting generously on top of each cupcake.
Here are some of the shower party photos.