Was craving this for a long time and made it last night for dinner along with “Boondi Dahi” (savory chickpea flour balls in sweetened yogurt), Okra and pulao. The same recipe can be used to make turkey mince or even goat (mutton) mince. Minced chicken is the Indian-version of what many popular restaurants serve as the filling in lettuce wraps.
Mince (“kheema” in Hindi) was made in my mother’s house every Sunday for lunch. We also make a dry version of this to stuff into a potato pattice.
- 1 lb Chicken mince
- 1/2 cup green peas (use the frozen ones)
- 2 onions chopped fine
- 2 tomatoes grated
- 3 tablespoons yogurt
- 1 bay leaf
- 3-4 black peppercorns (whole)
- 4 cloves
- 6 green cardamoms
- 1 1/2 inch cinnamon stick
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilly powder ( adjust the spice level to your taste)
- 3/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon coriander ( dhaniya) powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin (jeera) powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro plus 1 tablespoon for garnish
- 6 tablespoons oil
- salt to taste
Heat oil in a vessel. Add cloves, cardamoms, bay leaf, peppercorns, and cinnamon stick. Add ginger and garlic paste and fry for a minute.
Served here with okra, pulao, boondi dahi (yogurt) and chopped onions.