This cake was a big hit at my pre-schooler’s “Teacher Appreciation” week. Since it was such a hit, I baked it again for my book club meeting over tea. This time I served it with Ina’s blueberry sauce.
Lemon cake is a refreshing anytime treat – satisfaction guaranteed! One note – whatever you do, do not skip the glaze!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- 1 1/3 cups sugar, divided
- 3 extra-large eggs
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (2 lemons)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
For the glaze
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 50 mins, or until a cake tester placed in the center of the loaf comes out clean. Meanwhile, cook the 1/3 cup of lemon juice and remaining 1/3 cup sugar in a small pan until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is clear. Set aside.
When the cake is done, allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Carefully place on a baking rack over a sheet pan. While the cake is still warm, pour the lemon-sugar mixture over the cake and allow it to soak in. Cool.
I am sending this r-e-a-l-l-y moist lemony cake for the dessert event hosted by Ramya.You can click on this logo to check her event.