This simple moth bean dish is a stand-out at any event. Its great as a salad or a quick protein-filled snack for anytime during the day.
- 1 cup Moth bean, washed and soaked overnight in water, remove water the next day and allow to sprout for another day by keeping it in a warm place covered
- 2 green chillies, cut in half to get 4 pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida
- 1/2 teaspoon black mustard “rai”
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilly powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro for garnish
- Heat oil in a vessel. Add asafoetida and black mustard. The oil has to be hot enough for the mustard seeds to crackle. Then add the green chillies and throw in the sprouted beans.
- Add red chilly powder, turmeric, sugar and salt to taste.
- Mix well, cover and keep on medium flame and let it cook for about 20 minutes. After 20 minutes,stir again and cook for another 5 minutes on low flame.
Serve hot and garnish with chopped cilantro.