Traditional shepherd’s pie is made with ground beef or ground lamb, cooked with vegetables like carrots, peas and onions and then topped with creamy mashed potatoes. I have given this recipe an Indian twist by adding Indian spices like garam masala along with worcerstershire sauce, making it a fusion dish.
I use ground turkey (healthier option) and add vegetables like peas and onions and pasta(!) topping it with mashed potatoes. I was introduced to this dish by my aunt and was simply taken in by the complexity of flavors, a one pot dish that is enjoyed by the whole family!
Ingredients for the turkey:
- 1.25 pounds of ground lean turkey
- 3/4 cup frozen green peas
- 3 medium sized onions chopped finely
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger paste
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons tomato ketchup
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilly powder
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1/4 cup oil
- salt to taste
Pasta: 1/2 pound , cook pasta according to the directions on the packet. I like to use spaghetti or capellini.
- 6 medium sized potatoes (Yukon Gold), boiled, peeled and mashed
- 1/2 cup milk
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons butter, plus 1 tablespoon on top of the mashed potatoes, at time of baking
- Heat oil in a vessel, add asafoetida and onions to it. Caramelize the onions by cooking them on medium heat and stirring occasionally for 25 to 30 minutes. After the onions have browned, add garlic and ginger paste. Fry this for a minute or two.
- Add turkey and mix well, trying to break it up with a spoon .
- Add the turmeric, red chilly powder, garam masala and salt to taste.
- Now add the peas, stir and cover the pot. Cook on medium heat, do not add water. Let this cook for about 15 minutes.
- Add the worcestershire sauce, tomato sauce and sugar. Mix, cover and cook for about 10 minutes. After its cooked, keep aside.
- Prepare the pasta according to the directions on the packet and add to the cooked turkey and mix well.
To make mashed potatoes:
Boil and cook the potatoes, peel them and mash with a potato masher. Add milk and butter and mash well with a fork and mix. Add salt and pepper to taste. The potatoes should have a creamy consistency.
To Layer the pie:
Put the turkey and pasta mixture on the bottom of an oven proof dish. Spread the mashed potatoes on top of this mixture ( I like to pipe this on). Put some cold chopped butter(1 tablespoon) on top and bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes.